Sunday, July 1, 2007

From Coast to Coast

Let me just say moving across the country is a lot of work. This is the long story which is actually so ridiculous it's almost funny, at least I'm telling myself it will someday be funny.

We got our stuff packed up and sent off with the movers Wednesday and then were supposed to fly out Thursday. This went pretty smooth. Josh even did well nursing on the floor in our empty apartment for a day. We got on the plane Thursday evening and were waiting on the runway. Josh even fell asleep. Things were looking good. Then we were told that NY airport was closed so we turned around and went back to Boston. The only flight available was the next morning through Long Beach, CA with a 7 hour layover. All right here starts the adventure.

Our car was supposed to be picked up by the shipping company Wednesday or Thursday. They called and said Friday and to leave our keys with a friend. So we did and left for our long trip to SLC. When we finally got to Long Beach, we got off of the plane and had to walk on the runway to enter the airport. The airport is tiny with about 3 gates. Most of it is outside. We ended up taking a cab to a nearby mall to walk around.

Finally we reach SLC, yet to find out our car was never picked up. So for the next few days we try to contact the shipping company and finally realize if we want our car here before two weeks and in one piece we might need to do it ourselves. Ben flew to DC for business early Monday morning and then Thursday instead of coming back to SLC he flew to Boston. He and Johnny (what a great friend :)) are still driving our car across the country. They will be here tonight.

More details...we finally got an apartment in CA and are working on the rental furniture, all of our stuff made it here safely Friday night, we decided not to go to Lake Powell with my family :( (just too much going on and Josh is so little for the heat), we may never see our deposit from the car shipping company--if they really are a compnay, we plan to leave for CA Thursday morning so now I have to go through our stuff to find what we need to take with us....that will be a chore.

I am sure nobody really wants all these details, but it is good to vent a little. I think we will be glad we moved and it is time for a new phase, but right now life is a little crazy.

8 comments:

Timo said...

Cassi,
I can't believe all this hassle! What a crazy story. I can hardly believe it's true, especially the part about the car. So glad that you're safe in Utah! Hopefully Ben arrives safely tonight. We miss you in Boston!
-becky

Boston Paynes said...

What a mess !! It is always an adventure I guess. When we moved all of our furniture got broken or dinged up while on the moving truck. I was glad we never got any expensive furniture while we lived back there. Hope your next leg of your journey goes much smoother !!

john and nikki said...

cassi,

sorry to here it was such a fiasco. moving companies can be quite a drag. i'm glad you uys made it there safely. enjoy cali and keep in touch!

Mel said...

You seem much calmer about all of this than I would be. What I would give to be in Utah right now! Enjoy the family.

Mia said...

Oh no! I hate it when travel plans are all thrown off. And arriving to find not everything had arrived? I'd be in pieces. So glad you get to spend a little time with family before heading to CA.
-Mia

Andrea said...

Cassi- I heard parts of this story from Johnny and Nate. I am SO sorry!! Part of me is already dreading moving again in two years and everything went smoothly for us! We miss you guys. Emma and Hyrum talk about Cameron and you and "Benny the Ball" all the time. I'll call you soon. Love, Andrea

Meta said...

i hope you can look back at that experience and laugh really hard some day - what a nightmare. it made me very tired for you guys!!! hope you are doing well. keep posting! :)

Em Russ said...

Johnny had a great time on the cross country trip! I guess it always could be worse though, right? We miss you so much it's crazy. Boston won't be the same without you. I hope we'll make it somehow.
Em