Thursday, January 7, 2010

A Perfect Ordinary Day

I still need to post Christmas but I just wanted to remember the simpleness of today. With the excitement of Christmas, sicknesses, and hives we have not been feeling like ourselves lately. I have been scolding and refereeing too much. Today everybody seemed to feel better and I once again felt so blessed to be a mom that can stay at home with my kids. Josh and Wes are such fun ages and are just starting to play together. Josh gets a kick out of Wes copying him. And Wes just wants to be doing everything Josh is doing. We stayed home all day (for those of you who know me...i don't love being cooped up:)) because Josh is potty training. And I really enjoyed being home with my boys with nowhere to go and no reason to make anyone put coats or shoes on. My house was a DISASTER by the end of the day. Josh pretty much peeed his way through the day. He went through 5 pairs of underwear. But he was happy and everytime came running to tell me he needed to go...just a little late. Josh was helpful with Wes and tried to make him smile while I changed his diaper by doing a little dance. Wes has got to be the hardest kid to diaper change. Josh told him today that he needed to be potty trained too. I agree. I made dinner and Josh pretended he was a dog with a bowl of water and a bowl of food (cheerios) on the ground. He was entertained pouring water from one container to another until he eventually brought me a cup of cheerio soup and told me I must try it. When I only pretended to sip it he looked at me confused and said, "no mom it is really good, you have to really drink it." I did, a very small sip. Not my favorite and after I made him try it he did mmmmhhhming the whole time and declaring the rest was to be saved for Dad. Bathtime was anything but calming. Wes has to be near the faucet and will climb over the top of Josh to get there. Josh discovered a new funny thing that Wes would copy him shaking his head back and forth. Pretty soon I was soaked as well as the floor. Bathtime over. Downstairs, I am afraid this is becoming a routine, was run around naked time. But Josh realized he could hold it until he was on the toilet. Maybe it took being naked to figure it out. I hope that tomorrow he will still remember, we will see. Anyway the boys ran around naked deep belly laughing at each other. I could only watch with a huge exhausted smile on my face. A perfect ordinary day.

5 comments:

Em Russ said...

so sweet Cassi!!

Katherine said...

I have heard some people potty train their boys with just not putting any pants on. I couldn't stand to do that, but I didn't have Isaac wear underwear and it seemed to do the trick. I just put really soft cotton shorts or something on him with no undies and he seemed to be able to tell when he needed to go and knew he didn't have a diaper or anything on...just an idea. And then after a week or two he started wearing underwear again! :) Glad you enjoyed the craziness of your day. Sometimes I do that too, and sometimes I just go crazy! :)

Amber said...

I love this post Cassi. I am sure many mothers can relate to it. I love how you have your blog set up and the pictures are great.
I have been thinking about your family so much lately. I hope you are all doing well. Hope this year is full of love and laughter and all the good things you deserve!

Cheryl said...

Naked did it for both my boys. That was the only way they would actually hold it until they got to the toilet. And if you are still training when the weather gets warmer(I hope not but you never know!) and you have a fenced back yard, let them run around outside all day. Less mess for you to clean up! Good luck!!

Love the new pictures. Your boys are beautiful.

Heidi said...

I love those perfect ordinary days. Don't get me wrong, I love the great days too, but the ordinary days remind me of my blessings, I love that.

Naked is a great way to to potty train, it worked for Will, and it't working for Scarlett these days.

I love the pictures of Josh and Wes, they are beautiful, beautiful boys. (Those lashes are A.M.A.Z.I.N.G)